…...reaching the harvest, One Life at a Time.
A History of Devotion to God.
In 1920 Dora Lee Barber purchased a parcel of land from John Wright for $91 .00. This was the spot of ground where the church now stands. A shed was built and services were held. Later on, rough lumber was used to build sides around the shed. Dora Lee Barber died and the services were discontinued. Bro. Cooper came to Pell City and started having services in the old shed. A tabernacle was built in 1923 or 1924 while Br. Cooper was pastor. In one of the early member's notes, Sister Lillie Mae Bynum said, He was a good preacher, a good man. When Br. Cooper left, Ruby Lee Lahe preached for awhile. Br. and Sister St. John came to Pell City in 1936 and started having services in the tabernacle. During their time as pastor, many were saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost.
In 1936 or early 1937, the Pell City Church of God was officially set in order with 8 charter members: Lillie Peoples, Granny Hagood, Ed and Annie Hagood, Tom Bynum, Tillie Wright, Velma Wright and Eva Peoples. Around 1940, a white frame building was built and the church continued to progress. In 1954-
In March 1981, Rev. Wayne D. Taylor came as pastor. During brother Taylor's pastorate, a new sanctuary was built, Sunday school rooms remodeled, and the joining of the church and fellowship hall completed. The new sanctuary was dedicated March 4, 1984. In the early 1990's, a two-
On October 1, 1996, when Paul and Paula Lett accepted the pastorate of Harvest Center, the church had experienced hard times. However, God had a plan. In the past 18 years, Harvest Center has developed an outstanding Music Program, an effective Youth & Children’s ministry, a powerful Performing Arts program, and is reaching out into the city with Servant Evangelism and Martha Ministries (Benevolence). Our heart is revealed in our ministry theme; "Reaching the Harvest...One Life at a Time."